Last Updated on
Why a get mattress for back pain, bad back and orthopaedic? Did you know that you spend approximately a third of your life in bed?
Yet, when it comes to where you sleep, you time and again do not consider how your mattress can affect your life.
There is no other bedroom gear you need most in your life than a mattress that can alleviate bad back and back pain.
Whether your preference is foam, innerspring, or latex, how a mattress is made holds the key to your back pain relief and sleeping comfort.
Luckily for you, we’ve found 10 unique beds that come highly recommended for their orthopaedic properties.
Top 10 Mattresses for Back Pain, Bad Back & Orthopaedic
#1 Dosleeps Double Mattress 4FT6 9-Zone Pocket Sprung Mattress
The Dosleeps Double Mattress is part of the brand’s former range. It has been hand tufted for strength and comfort.
It has an innovative nine-zone support system that features individual spring coil pockets. The individual coils are designed from tempered stainless steel wire.
The coils are compressed and wrapped in a fabric pocket, reducing spring coil collision noise. This design can alleviate back pain, bad back, and pressure points.
The mattress is integrated with a 3D quilting thick layer pad with double side mesh. This structure boosts superior air circulation for sweaty bodies.
Apart from the heavy-duty spring coil pockets, the memory foam atop the mattress offers additional comfort by alleviating up to eighty-seven percent of the spine, neck, and hip pressure.
This is also the perfect bed for couples because of the unique combination of spring coils and foam minimise motion transfer.
- UK standard, soft and breathable knit fabrics
- Individually pocket sprung alleviates bad back
- Polyester cover fabric is air permeable and breathable
- 3D quilting thick layer pad improves air circulation
- Fabric pockets reduce spring coil collision noise
- It may feel softer for some users
- Structure is not reversible
#2 Evergreenweb Best UK King Size Mattress
If you are looking for a product that adds a little extra plush while providing superior support for alleviating bad back, look no further than the Evergreenweb Best UK King Size Mattress.
This mattress has more than a couple of features that make it an exceptional prospect for anyone looking for a quality orthopaedic and long-lasting bed.
For starters, it is designed using high-dense foam materials, and this is a clear indication that it will stand the test of time.
The ecological polyurethane foam offers a medium-firm feel and support that is highly recommended for sleepers with back problems.
This brand incorporates a number of measures to keep you cool, free of back pain, and very comfortable. The top has elastic properties that give body moulding comfort.
Besides, the bed offers multiple differentiated zones of motion. This makes it ideal for side, stomach, and back sleepers.
- Ecological polyurethane foam is free of harmful chemicals
- Italian made but conforms to British Standards
- Suitable for side, stomach and back sleepers
- Superior elastic properties provide exceptional body moulding comfort
- Offers medium-firm feel and support for bad back
- May is not the perfect choice for heavy people
#3 HomyLink Pocket Sprung Orthopaedic Mattress
The HomyLink Pocket Sprung Orthopaedic Mattress is one of the most reputable online mattress currently in the UK.
It features a combination of cushioning layers, pocket springs, soft foams, fireproofing cover, and spinal support technology to help alleviate your back problems as you sleep.
We would like to stress that the feel of the mattress is more on the firmer side of the firmness scale. This is a good compromise for bad backs and back pain.
The high density knit layer on the top features elegant European pattern that is not only stylish but also offers velvety sleep.
Apart from the good orthopaedic properties, this bed is naturally anti-mites, anti-allergy, antibiosis, and hypoallergenic. The 3D fabric is highly breathable.
It comes with one of the best support core systems that are made up of packed springs that operate independently. This ensures proper spinal alignment and target support for bad back.
- Luxury 3D knit fabric offers velvety sleep
- Independently packed spring coils offer superior spinal alignment and targeted support
- Top cover features air-permeable holes for more refreshing sleep
- Weight and temperature-responsive foam offers superior comfort
- Arrives in a vacuum roll packed
- Firmness may feel a little bit harder for some users
#4 Vesgantti 4FT6 Double Pocket Sprung Mattress with Breathable Foam
Vesgantti is a hybrid double sprung mattress that is made of pocket springs and memory foam. It is available in one firmness level, medium-firm.
The cover of the mattress is made of soft and breathable material. It is going to provide some instant softness when you lie down.
Made with independently enwrapped spring coils, this unique bed provides exceptional support for relieving points of your head, neck, shoulders, waist, hips, legs, and feet.
The comfort system of the Vesgantti is another unique feature worth paying for. It features multilayer breathable foam that is hypoallergenic and non-toxic.
The breathable foam can improve air circulation, making the mattress suitable for people who sleep hot and have back issues.
The Vesgantti has excellent resilience and shock absorption. The bed can absorb vibration and noise when sleeping with a partner who likes turning and tossing through the night.
- Independently wrapped spring coils alleviate seven pressure points
- Multilayer breathable foam improves air circulation for hot sleepers
- Excellent resilience and shock absorption reduce motion transfer
- Foam material used is certified by CertiPUR-US
- 100-night trial allows you to break-in the bed
- Maybe a little bit softer for some users
#5 Inofia Double Memory Foam Pocket Sprung Mattress
The mattress comes flat-packed and rolled inside a box, but don’t let the size fool you because it weighs around 27 kilograms before it is unboxed.
The Inofia Double Memory Foam Pocket Sprung Mattress has a 100 night trial period (to help you get acquainted) and 10-year guarantee and guarantee.
When fully expandable, the height of the bed is about 24 centimetres. You will that this bed compresses easily if you apply pressure on one spot.
You’ve got pressure-relieving memory foam that offers moulding comfort. This is a great feature for people with pressure points and back pain.
The mattress has nine separate supportive zones that help to combat pains and aches. The cover is soft and quilted, providing cosiness and comfort.
- Pressure-relieving moulding memory foam
- Pocketed springs offer stable support for bad back
- Comforting fibre quilted cover offers an extra layer of cosiness
- Nine layers of pressure-relieving and perfect comfort
- 100 night free trial gives you time to break-in the bed
- Maybe a little bit bouncier for some users
#6 Emma Original Memory Foam Mattress
The Emma Original is one of British’s most recommended foam mattress. It is one of the most ideal choices for bad back and back pain.
The cover is pretty elastic and thin. This ensures superior airflow and breathability through the mattress. Also, the elastic cover works in conjunction with the top layers for added comfort.
Point elastic airgocell foam is adaptable and breathable. The foam has an open pore structure and optimised adaptability for improved air circulation.
There is a layer of visco-elastic foam, which boost spine support and pressure relief. The firm polyurethane foam at the bottom improves shoulder and lower back support.
This bed is particularly great because it is made in the United Kingdom. It is neither too hard nor too soft. The design offers medium firmness and pain-free comfort.
- Climate regulating cover is ideal for hot sleepers
- Optimised adaptability and open pore structure improves air circulation
- Visco-elastic foam improves spinal support and pressure relief
- Supportive base enhances shoulder and lower back support
- 100 night free trial gives you time to get acquainted
- Customer service may not be the best
#7 Dormeo Memory Foam Mattress
The Dormeo Memory Foam Mattress is the brand’s latest innovation that gives you unrivaled levels of customisation and comfort.
The Memory Plus Mattress provides the ideal balance of pressure-relieving materials and woven carbon fibres.
The woven carbon fibre provides an effective barrier against particles and dust, providing a hygienic sleeping surface.
The mattress has a distinct eco cell that features three-dimensional cellular structures, which move and cradle three-dimensionally to relieve back pain and body aches.
The core is also made of eco cell material that offers amazing support. Numerous air bubbles allow air to pass between them, producing a cooler and fresher feeling.
- 3D dimensional eco cell helps relieve pressure points
- Cover is enriched with carbon fibre for superior dust resistance
- Fifty percent more foam for moulding comfort for people with bad back
- Delivered vacuum packed and rolled for greater hygiene
- No transfer of movement when sleeping with a partner
- Possible off-gassing when unboxing
#8 Super Ortho Medium Firm Tension Mattress
The Super Ortho Medium Firm Tension Mattress is one of the finest orthopaedic mattresses that comes highly recommended for people with bad back and back pain.
It has been hand tufted for strength and it is covered in a high-quality fabric. This is a medium-firm orthopaedic bed grafted traditionally with Bonnell springs.
The Bonnell springs have a sufficient amount of space in between them for superior air circulation and ventilation, making the bed ideal for hot sleepers.
The combination of the reflex foam and 12.5 gauge spring system provides superior support, proper spinal alignment, and comfort for good night sleep.
The Super Ortho is hand-made with attention to detail, including flag stitched handles on the sides for easy handling from one position to another.
- Hand-tufted in the UK and meets all safety standards
- 12.5 gauge Bonnell springs offer exceptional spinal alignment
- Medium firmness offers moulding comfort
- Reversible design allows you to turn the mattress
- Flag-stitched handles on the sides allow for handling
- May have noticeable motion transfer
#9 Silentnight Bexley Miracoil Orthopaedic Mattress
The Silentnight Bexley Miracoil Orthopaedic Mattress provides an orthopaedic solution that can help improve the quality of your life by improving the health of your back.
The mattress comes fitted with Miracoil reactive springs that allow for proper spinal alignment and tailored support and comfort.
You have an edge to edge spring support that keeps you on the bed when you roll near the edges. This allows you maximum sleeping space.
The cover superior quality, hypoallergenic and breathable damask fabric helps eliminate the build-up of excess body heat.
The cover in combination with the other layers minimises pressure points and substantially reduces soreness and discomfort.
- Hand tufted in a traditional way to offer maximum comfort
- Miracoil reactive springs enhance spinal alignment and back support
- Edge to edge spring support prevent you from rolling over
- Cover is a hypoallergenic, anti-allergy, and anti-dust mite
- Eco-comfort fibre filling provides moulding comfort
- Maybe a little bit softer for some sleepers
#10 Sealy Posturepedic Millionaire Plush Ortho Mattress
The Millionaire Plush Ortho Mattress from the Sealy Posturpedic range is of the medium-firm comfort, but that does not mean that it does not give you all the support you need.
The unique orthopaedic benefits of this bed are mainly attributed to the open coil spring support system.
Sealy coil support system is a spring system that is unique to Sealy. The spring system features smaller spring coils that boost superior edge to edge support.
You are not going to feel like you are going to roll off, giving you lots of space while you sleep.
The open coil springs are weight responsive. Therefore, they get firmer as the weight gets heavier, focusing more on your back.
This makes sure you have exceptional spinal alignment while you sleep to alleviate lower back pain, bad back, and any aches and pains.
What’s even impressive is the knitted cover, which stretches remarkably with the moulding of the bed. This makes it elastic and highly breathable.
- Medium-firm feel and comfort for bad back
- Open coil springs offer superior edge to edge support
- Weight responsive coil springs help to alleviate back problems
- Knitted cover offers outstanding moulding comfort
- Recommended for all sleeping positions
- Only one-sided, not reversible
What to Consider When Shopping for Orthopaedic Mattresses
Many products in the UK will claim to have orthopaedic properties and the ability to alleviate your lower back problems.
The bottom line is that not all of these products do help with back pain, bad back, and pressure points.
But we have a few pointers that will help you single out the most relevant mattresses the UK market has to offer.
Type of Mattress
There are four major types of beds that we can recommend, including a hybrid mattress, a latex mattress, a foam mattress, and the traditional innerspring mattress.
By definition, a hybrid mattress comprises of several layers of different materials, such as foam, pocketed/individually wrapped coils, and/or latex.
Most of the orthopaedic qualities of a hybrid bed are determined by the type of springs and/or foam or latex. The number of layers and thickness also matters.
Look for a hybrid bed that does the following:
- Allows for proper spinal alignment and back support
- Offers a good compromise on the firmness scale, say medium-firm
- Effective at reducing turning and tossing when sleeping with a partner
- Offers a good edge to edge support
At the heart of good quality, the innerspring bed is firm coils that are made of tempered heavy-duty materials.
A most orthopaedic mattress is fitted with hourglass-shaped Bonnell coils with closed circles at the top. Always go for a bed with at least 12 gauge wires for superior back support.
The resilience, firmness, as well as the durability of an innerspring, do also depend on the thickness of the wire and the number of turns.
Generally, the heavier the gauge of the individual coils, the firmer the mattress. The only problem is that some innerspring beds tend to be bouncier and have poor motion transfer.
Orthopaedic memory foam mattresses, which are many in the UK market, are a popular alternative to both hybrids and innerspring beds.
Latex, a natural rubber product, offers exceptional support but is hardly ever used because of its scarceness and high cost.
A great number of foam mattresses are made of polyurethane (a hypoallergenic memory foam, anti-dust mite, and anti-mildew).
Most foam beds feature three to seven layers of different thickness. But it is density that determines the firmness and not the thickness of the bed.
There are a few shortcomings associated with foam beds, including off-gassing, poor edge support, poor motion transfer, sagging, and poor aeration to mention a few.
So, when choosing a foam mattress, you need to make sure that it features unique technologies that help to improve on the abovementioned factors.
Sizes & Price
Good quality mattresses for back pain, bad back, and orthopaedic vary in price with respect to their quality and size.
The standard UK mattress sizes are:
- 2FT6 UK Small Single – 75 by 190 Centimetres
- 3FT UK Single – 90 by 190 Centimetres
- 4FT UK Small Double – 120 by 190 Centimetres
- 4FT6 UK Double – 135 by 190 Centimetres
- 5FT UK King – 150 by 200 Centimetres
- 6FT UK Superking – 180 by 200 Centimetres
Now, you have to set your budget concerning the size of the mattress. What is clear is that a double will not cost the same as a king.
It is always wise to try a mattress before paying for it to ensure that the firmness, back support, edge support, bounce, and motion transfer are to your liking.
The only problem is that the most mattress brands in the UK are bed-in-a-box type, if not all. So, you have to depend on their Night Free Trial Policy.
For example, if a particular brand allows you a 100-night free trial, make sure you make the best of those 100 nights and ascertain that the mattress is to your liking.
Don’t forget to check the manufacturer’s warranty. A good orthopaedic mattress will be warranted against defects in workmanship and materials.