A large garden is certainly a luxury for the average homeowner residing in the United Kingdom. Most people in the country, and elsewhere in Europe, only own a small garden of about 10 x 10 meters.
This is why a small lawn mower that is specially designed for small gardens tend to be a hit in the UK. There are plenty of big names in the industry that provide mowers optimized for smaller gardens.
If finding the best one for your home leaves you feeling overwhelmed and full of questions, then this buying guide has all the important information you need.
Top 10 Best Lawn Mowers for Small Garden UK
Flymo Easimo Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower
|View on Amazon →|
Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower
|View on Amazon →|
Einhell GC-HM 30 Manual Hand Push Lawnmower
|View on Amazon →|
Flymo Easi Glide 300 Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower
|View on Amazon →|
Flymo Speedi-Mo 360C Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower, 1500 W
|View on Amazon →|
Bosch AHM 38 G Manual Lawn Mower
|View on Amazon →|
Greenworks G40LM35K2X Tools Cordless Lawn Mower
|View on Amazon →|
Yard Force Cordless Lawn Mower and Quick Charger
|View on Amazon →|
EGO LM1701E Cordless Lawn Mower
|View on Amazon →|
Landxcape Lx799 Robotic Mower
|View on Amazon →|
1. Flymo Easimo Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower
- Ergonomically designed for simple and easy use in your garden
- Collects and compacts more grass for less emptying of the 29 L grassbox
- Lightweight at only 8.3 kg, allowing easy transportation and storage
This budget-friendly electric lawn mower has features that you would normally see on the more expensive models. Small gardens do not usually require a long power cable, which means this 8.3-kilogram mower would be your best bet. The collection box has a 29-litre capacity, and you do not have to empty it too many times. So, you can get your small yard done without having to stop and empty the box.
It should be noted that this mower cannot handle rough or tough terrain. It does, however, work great on flat surfaces. Its cutting width of 32cm may require spending more time mowing the lawn, but it will not take too long for your small garden. The ergonomic handle features a handlebar grip that is more than adequate for the average user.
2. Bosch Rotak 32R Electric Rotary Lawnmower
- The Rotak 32 lawnmower is ideal for small and mid-sized gardens, height of cut 20 – 60 mm
- Thanks to its grass comb, the Rotak 32 cuts effortlessly along walls, flower beds and lawn edges
- Weighing just 6.8 kg, it is easy to steer around obstacles and transport
This machine is perfect for mowing a small garden. It does not have all the state-of-the-art features as some of the more expensive models, but its 7-kilogram weight makes it easy for almost anyone to operate it.
This lightweight lawn mower features a 1,200-Watt motor that is powerful enough to keep your garden tidy. It is even suitable for taller grass, flower beds, and lawn edging.
Its handlebar is also comfortable enough for most people. Best of all, this mower features grass combs on the front for neatly cut lawn edges.
With so many features to offer, this budget-friendly lawn mower could be your best option.
3. Einhell GC-HM 30 Manual Hand Push Lawn Mower
- Colour: Red
- Material: Plastic and metal
- Suitable for lawns of up to 250 m²
The Einhell GC-HM 30 Manual Hand Push Lawn Mower is a lightweight and strong machine that is easy to push. This machine also does a very good job when it comes to keeping your lawn clean.
This lawn mower comes with five steel blades that provide you with a nice clean cut. The cutting width of the blade is 30cm. The cutting height settings range from 15mm to 42mm.
The mesh collection bag of this unit is 16 litres, and it is also easy to attach and detach. It has two wide plastic wheels, but they don’t cut into the lawn.
The Einhell GC-HM 30 Manual Hand Push Lawn Mower is a compact size lawn mower. This means it is very easy to manoeuvre it around trees, flower birds, rocks, and other garden decorations in a smaller garden.
The build quality of this unit is great, and assembly is not an issue. This lawn mower has a ball-bearing, smooth-running mowing spindle.
The operation of this unit is very quiet, and it is also environmentally friendly. The Einhell GC-HM 30 Manual Hand Push Lawn Mower is ideal for lawns of up to 150 meters square.
4. Flymo Easi Glide 300 Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower
- Hovering on a cushion of air, this compact mower glides over gentle slopes and bumpy gardens with ease
- Utilises a 1300 W motor and 12 m cable that is ideally designed for small to medium gardens so you can mow the length of your lawn without an extension cable
- Comes with a cutting width of 30 cm and a cutting height of 10-30 mm, as well as a large 20 Litre grass box to ensure a neat and tidy finish to your lawn
The Flymo Easi Glide 300 is one of the more recent models in the hovering range of Flymo. It comes with a pretty simple design, but it has all the fundamental features you need when looking for a small lawn mower.
The motor boasts of 1300 watts of power. This is a pretty powerful motor for a mower of this weight and size. It has a cutting width of 30cm. It also comes fully assembled and ready to use. Lift the lawn mower out of the box, pull up the handle, plug it in, and you can start mowing your garden immediately.
This lawn mower features a grass box of 20 litres, which is suitable for a small to medium-sized lawn. This machine also operates at a much quieter rate when compared to other hover lawn mowers.
Almost all Flymo Hover Range mowers use spacers to adjust their cutting heights, and the Flymo Easi Glide 300 is no exception. The power cable length of this lawn mower is 12 meters, which is enough for small yards.
5. Flymo Speedi-Mo 360C Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower, 1500 W
- The ideal lawnmower for first time home buyers as it cuts medium to large sized gardens
- Designed to be simple and easy to use with useful carry handle and an easy to remove grass box
- Choose your ideal cutting height with a choice of five settings between 20 to 60 mm, easily adjustable with a central handle
The Speedi-Mo 360C Electric Wheeled lawn mower is one of the most powerful lawn mowers produced by Flymo. This powerful electric lawn mower comes with a good-sized 1,500-watt motor. The motor of this unit is powerful enough to provide you with smooth and fast cutting sessions.
The Flymo Speedi-Mo 360C Electric Wheeled Lawn Mower also features a deck of 36cm. This means you have enough cutting width to cut through large spaces on just one pass, which can cut down on the amount of time you have to spend on yard work.
This powerfully equipped lawn mower comes with a power cable that is 12 meters in length. This is enough cable to cover a small or medium-sized lawn. However, if your yard is on the larger side, you can always get an extension cord to increase the coverage of the machine.
This unit features five different cutting heights. The cutting heights of this mower range from 20mm to 60mm. Simply use the level by the rear wheel to adjust the height of this machine in just a few seconds.
What is more interesting about this mower is that it features a grass box of 40 litres. The grass box is very easy to detach and saves you a lot of stress as you won’t have to visit the waste bin more often when cutting. It is also very easy and convenient to move around.
6. Bosch AHM 38 G Manual Lawn Mower
- 38cm width of cut
- Five bladed cylinder and rear roller
- 12-40mm height of cut
This manual mower proves to be just as effective as its petrol or electric equivalents. Bosch is well-known for providing high-quality tools and equipment, so you will surely get the most from this manually-operated machine.
It is lightweight and works quietly. The integral roller can even provide lawn stripes. One important thing to note, however, is that this mower needs to be set up correctly.
The blades, which cut like scissors, give you a more superior cut as long they are sharp. With a 7-kilogram body and adjustable cutting height feature, this hand-push mower is surely worth considering.
The grass box of this model is 25 litres. Overall, it is lightweight, easy to push, and high geared side wheels to help you cut through even the taller grass.
7. Greenworks G40LM35K2X Tools Cordless Lawn Mower
- EASY TO START - Insert 40 V battery and get started: With the battery lawnmower you can immediately start mowing freely and without cables in your garden - two batteries 2 Ah and charger are included
- EFFICIENT - Greenworks Tools lightweight cordless lawnmower is suitable for small gardens up to a size of 500 sq m and supports a streak-free and well-kept lawn with its cutting width of 35 cm
- FEATURES - With its 5-fold central cutting height adjustment from 20 to 70 mm, the quiet Greenworks mower helps you mow your lawn at the desired height
This lawn mower by Greenworks is one of the largest on our list but is still an effective solution for a small garden. A battery powers this lawn mower, so you can mow freely without any cables. It comes with 2 Ah batteries and a charger.
It is a lightweight, cordless lawn mower that is suitable for a small garden up to 500 square meters big and allows you to achieve a streak-free look for a more well-kept appearance. It has a cutting width of 35cm.
It also features a 5-fold central cutting height adjustment and can be adjusted between 20 and 70 mm. It is also a quiet operation as well, so you won’t bother anyone.
The grass catcher bag is a whopping 40 litres. The lawn mower not only cuts the grass, but it also mulches it, which helps enrich your soil with some valuable nutrients.
8. Yard Force Cordless Lawn Mower and Quick Charger
- Powerful, lightweight & manoeuvrable
- 40V Samsung lithium-ion 2.5Ah battery with quick charger
- 34cm cutting Width with rear roller
If you are looking for an easily manoeuvrable, lightweight, and powerful lawn mower for your small garden, then you have come to the right place. The Yard Force Cordless Lawn Mower features a 40V Samsung lithium-ion 2.5Ah battery with a quick charger.
It has a 34cm cutting width and rear rollers, and you can easily adjust the cutting height between 25mm and 75mm. The large hybrid grass collection bag has a full bag indicator, so you know when it needs to be emptied. It is a 35-litre hybrid collection bag that has been designed for maximum airflow. It compacts the grass clipping and allows for much longer mowing times when needed.
Overall, it is a high-efficiency, brushless motor that utilizes torque sense technology and allows you to power through your small garden with ease. It offers an ergonomic design, reliability, and high performance.
9. EGO LM1701E Cordless Lawn Mower
- EGO 56V Li-Ion BATTERY SYSTEM - The 56v Arc Lithium battery surpasses the competition on every level. The 56V battery delivers more usable power than other hand-held battery. Unlike brick-shaped batteries where the cells are packed together, the Arc design increases surface area and dissipates heat more effectively, preventing overheating and shutdowns. Comes with a 5Ah battery and rapid charger.
- METAL CUTTING SYSTEM - 47cm (18”), with single height of cut adjustment from 25cm to 80cm, Cuts up to 800SQM. To make your mowing experience more comfortable the handle can be adjusted to suit your height with three different height settings. The deck is made from hard polymer to endure over its lifetime
- SELF-PROPELLED, AUTOMATIC VARIABLE CUTTING SPEED - Take the effort out of cutting your lawn with the self-propelled function and choose the speed that you cut your lawn with a variable speed option.
This cordless lawn mower offers you three different grass disposal methods, including side discharge, bagging, and mulching. If your garden is constantly changing or you keep playing around with the design, then you will find that this is the best lawn mower because it allows you to choose from all these different settings.
It has a very compact design and the handles are foldable for even easier and more convenient storage. If your small garden needs a quick trim, all you have to do is pull it out, press a simple button, and get moving. There are no awkward pulls to fight with to get it started.
It is ideal for a smaller garden or divided yard that is split with paths or other obstacles. It can be easily manoeuvred through these obstacles without any damage to the blades.
10. LANDXCAPE LX799 300m2 Robotic Mower
- Perfect for smaller gardens up to 300m2
- 3 blade cutting/Mulching System
- Patented mowing cutting technology ensure pass the narrow path easily
Our list wouldn’t be complete without mentioning this Landxcape Robot Lawn Mower. It is easy to set up with boundary wire, the charging station, and the easy to follow step by step instructions. It is also a very low maintenance option and saves you time and manpower.
Once you have this small lawn mower set up, it automatically operates each day without an app. It charges itself and is whisper quiet.
It is made to be both tough and durable. It is fully waterproof and also comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty. This high performing lawn mower returns the lawn clippings and nutrients back to the yard, so there are no clippings that you need to dispose of.
The lift, tilt, and bump sensors stop the blades if the mower is picked up or it bumps into objects in the yard. It also comes equipped with pin code protection to prevent any unauthorized use.
It features three pivoting razor blades and cutting heights of between 20 and 60mm. The mowing width is 18cm. The complete charging time is between 40 and 45 minutes, and it runs off a lithium 18v battery with 2.0Ah capacity.
How to Buy the Best Lawn Mower for Small Garden
Before making a purchase, be sure to read through the information below so you know exactly what you should be looking for and considering before purchasing the best lawn mower for small gardens.
The Size of the Lawn
This is the very first thing you need to consider before purchasing a lawn mower. Push lawn mowers are only recommended if the size of your yard is half an acre or less.
If your yard is larger than this, you might have issues gathering up the energy to cover the entire area, as you need to push the mower all over the place. It can get tiring really fast.
If you have a yard of over half an acre, you should consider going for a riding mower. With this, you can sit on the mower as you navigate around the lawn.
The Terrain of Your Yard
Does your terrain have obstacles and hills? Is it clear or flat? If your lawn is mostly flat, a standard push mower or a reel mower can do the job.
However, if your lawn is mostly hills, a self-propelled mower can make the job very easy for you. These types of mowers have engines that power the wheels, making it easy to navigate through hills.
Also, if you have fountains, rocks, flower beds, or any other lawn decoration to mow around, then a zero-turn-radius mower is the ideal option. You can steer this mower around obstacles much easier than the conventional types.
Deck size simply means the width of the blades on your lawn mower. The bigger the deck, the bigger the blades. There are different sizes of decks, and the range is 20” to 70”, or even more.
Many homeowners usually go for deck sizes within the range of 30” to 60”. A wider deck cuts wider paths on every pass. This means it will take lesser time to clear your lawn.
However, you can only use a wider deck if your yard is uniform in shape and flat. It is difficult to use a wider deck to navigate around obstacles such as bushes, trees, and flower beds. If you want something that you can easily manoeuvre, then you should go for a smaller deck.
How It’s Powered
There are different motors, engines, and power types to choose from when purchasing a lawn mower. You will want to find what is going to work best with your yard and circumstances. Electric mowers will need to have a charging station and corded lawn mowers need to have a cord that is long enough for you to reach each corner of your garden.
If you want to settle for a riding lawn mower, you might want to choose one that is compatible with different attachments.
Attachments can greatly enhance your cutting session. Some well-known attachments include rakes, dump carts, lawn rollers, fertilizer spreaders, and more. So, if you need any of these attachments, make sure you opt for a lawn mower that will allow you to use them.
However, these attachments usually come separately, so you will have to purchase them separately. But you will not regret getting the necessary ones, as they would greatly increase the use and productivity of your machine.
You should know by now that finding the best lawn mower for your small garden is not that difficult. The best models on the market will not cost you so much, as well.
Simply note down the tips mentioned above, compare the best models, and you will bring home your own lawn mower in no time.