If you are reading this, then you are on a journey to find the best cordless chainsaw UK has to offer. Cordless chainsaws currently meet and even exceed the gas performance of other tools and gas-powered chainsaws.
If you have any pruning, landscape maintenance, and other light-duty maintenance you need to complete on your home, then these smaller jobs can be done with a cordless chainsaw. It can even help ensure that you get the job done quickly.
Battery-powered chainsaws are a convenient solution to the gas-powered models that are larger and require more maintenance. They are also a lot quieter than their counterparts as well. Additionally, when you can purchase other outdoor equipment that can use the same battery as your cordless chainsaw, you will find out even more how much this kind of purchase will make sense in the long run.
Today, we are going to take a look at the best cordless chainsaws the UK has to offer in 2021.
Quick View: Best Cordless Chainsaw UK
OREGON 573018 Cordless Battery Chainsaw
|View on Amazon →|
DEWALT DCM575X1 XR Flexvolt Chainsaw
|View on Amazon →|
Makita DUC353Z cordless chainsaw 18V
|View on Amazon →|
Ryobi OCS1830 18V Cordless Brush Chainsaw
|View on Amazon →|
Greenworks 40V Cordless Chainsaw Brushless
|View on Amazon →|
BLACK+DECKER 18V 25 cm Cordless Chainsaw
|View on Amazon →|
Oregon GH-EC 2040 2000W Electric Chainsaw
|View on Amazon →|
1. OREGON 573018 Cordless Battery Chainsaw
- Powerful performance: Cordless chainsaw with brushless motor delivers a powerful combination of speed and torque; Tool only (batteries available separately)
- Cordless and rechargeable: Premium 36 V battery ensures zero emissions; No trailing cables to worry about
- Clever design: Built-in PowerSharp sharpening system; chain tightening system doesn't require any tools
If you are looking for a cordless chainsaw that can offer you the ultimate in power and performance, then you need to look no further than the Oregon cordless battery chainsaw.
It features a brushless motor that delivers power, speed, and torque. It is both cordless and rechargeable and uses a premium 36V battery that ensures zero emissions. You also don’t have to worry about cables as you manoeuvre.
This cordless chainsaw also comes equipped with a built-in PowerSharp sharpening system and a chain tightening system. It allows for minimal upkeep and maintenance.
It is also very lightweight and incredibly easy to handle. It is designed to allow for even weight distribution. The bar length of this chainsaw is 40cm.
- Powerful engine
- Long runtime battery
- Instant starting system
- No fumes, no emission
- Battery can’t hold charge eventually
2. DEWALT DCM575X1 XR Flexvolt Chainsaw
- High efficiency brushless motor
- 40cm Oregon Bar and Chain
- 15 m/s Chain Speed
The DEWALT DCM575X1 XR Flexvolt cordless chainsaw uses a brushless motor which proves to be highly effective at driving the blades of this chainsaw to 6600 rpm. It doesn’t require much in the way of maintenance either.
It has an extra-large cutting length of 40cm so you can cut through branches quickly and more efficiently. The bar length of this chainsaw is 40cm.
The DEWALT DCM575X1 XR Flexvolt cordless chainsaw has a large 115ml oil tank. This size tank means you can worry less about your oil levels and concentrate more on the jobs you have at hand. This purchase also comes hand in hand with a 30-month guarantee.
- Highly powerful battery
- Larger cutting length
- Battery is included
- Chainsaw oil not included
3. Makita DUC353Z Cordless Chainsaw
- Brushless motor
- Variable speed control by trigger
- Constant speed control
Makita is a widely known brand and is famous for being a top-graded producer of high-quality power tools. It is also a brand that is often used by professionals. This cordless chainsaw has a maximum output of 800 watts.
There is an adjustment lever for easier saw chain tension adjustments without requiring additional tools.
Two 18V lithium-ion batteries power this chainsaw. This is what powers the chainsaw’s 36V DC motor drive system. It also features a battery power capacity warning lamp, automatic chain oiling, soft start, and ergonomic soft grip.
- Powerful motor & battery power
- Comfortable soft gripped handle
- Tightening without tool
- Auto-oiling system
- A bit on the pricey side
4. Ryobi OCS1830 18V Cordless Brush Chainsaw
- High-performance 18V Brushless Motor Technology
- 30cm Oregon Bar and Chain with a chain speed of 10 m/s
- Automatic oiling system and tool-less chain tensioning
Ryobi is another big name in power tools. The Ryobi cordless brushless chainsaw is a high-performing chainsaw with an automatic oiling system and tool-less chain tensioning. It has a 30cm Oregon bar and chain with a chain speed of 10 m/s. it allows for the ultimate cutting experience.
It also features a rear handle with overmould for more comfortable use. There is also a mechanical and electrical chain brake for improved safety. Keep in mind, however, that this purchase does not include the battery and charger which need to be purchased separately. It is recommended that you purchase an 18V One+ Fast Charger with a 4.0Ah battery.
- Brushless motor
- Automatic oiling system for convenience
- Tool-less chain tensioning for easy adjustments
- Mechanical and electrical chain brake for safety
- Must purchase the battery and charger separately
5. Greenworks 40V Cordless Chainsaw Brushless
- EASY TO START - Insert 40 V battery and get started: With the cordless chain saw you can immediately saw branches and tree trunks free and without cables in your garden - battery and charger are not included
- POWERFUL - The cordless chain saw has a chain speed of 11 m/s and a 3/8 Inch pitch as well as automatic chain oiling - so gardening and forestry work is no longer a problem
- FULL POWER - Greenworks chain saw convinces thanks to the brushless DigiPro motor with 30 Percent more power and longer running times - for your safety the saw is equipped with a safety switch
If you are looking for a powerful and easy to start cordless chainsaw, then look no further than this one by Greenworks. All you have to do to get started is insert a 40V battery. You can then immediately get to sawing branches and tree trunks without having to worry about any dragging cables and decreased manoeuvrability.
This chainsaw has a chain speed of 12 m/s and a 0.0043″ pitch. It also allows for automatic chain oiling. When it comes to power, you won’t be disappointed. Due to the brushless DigiPro motor, you will find 30% more power and much longer running times.
The Greenworks cordless chainsaw also doesn’t lack in safety. It is equipped with a safety switch. The saw features an ergonomic handle and is easy to use.
- Long-lasting brushless motor
- Larger saw
- Better performance with higher torque
- Safety chain brake
- Inadequate battery life
- Battery and charger sold separately
6. BLACK+DECKER 18V 25 cm Cordless Chainsaw
- A lightweight and cordless chainsaw with 25 cm cutting width - ideal for logging, pruning, reducing windfall, preparing firewood and other general DIY maintenance tasks
- Weighing only 3.1 kg with the weight evenly balanced between handle and the cutting bar
- Secondary bale handle with cover offer better handling and control during the application; the handle cover offers additional protection
If you want a cordless chainsaw that is comfortable to use and has an ergonomic design and is lightweight, then you should consider this Black + Decker cordless chainsaw.
This chainsaw comes with a lithium-ion type 18V battery. It is the ideal tool for logging, reducing windfall, pruning, and for other simple tasks around the home and yard.
It has a bale handle that helps keep the proper balance while working. This cordless chainsaw is just 3.1-kg in weight so that it can be manoeuvred and transported easily.
The tool’s primary handle comes with a rubber-made over-moulded gripper that prevents it from slipping, which allows for higher stability and safety. Like the primary handle, the secondary handle also has a rubber grip.
This Black + Decker cordless chainsaw also features tool-free tensioning for quick and easy chain fitting and adjustments. It is powered with a 2.0 Ah lithium-ion battery and allows for about 220 x 3.5cm cuts per each battery charge.
- Lightweight and compact design
- Handle keeps the proper balance
- Semi-automatic oiling system
- Easy to adjust the chain’s tension
- The oil can leak out
7. Oregon GH-EC 2040 2000W Electric Chainsaw
- Oregon high-quality rail and chain ensures optimum cutting performance
- Tool-free chain tensioning and changing
- Powerful 2000 w motor with robust metal gearing
This is another Oregon high-quality rail and chain cordless chainsaw that helps ensure an optimum cutting performance each time it is used. It allows for convenient and easy tool-less tensioning and adjustments.
It has a powerful 2000 watt motor with robust metal gearing which is also a testament to its overall durability as well. It has kickback protection through the mechanical instant chain bike and an ergonomic handle to add to its comfort while using it.
The Oregon chain blade length is 400mm. It can easily saw through firewood and can help you thin out thicker branches or cut smaller trees around the property. The automatic chain lubrication system consists of an additional oil container with a big filler hole to fill in the chain saw oil, so the saw is always lubricated.
There is also a practical cable-relief clip in place to protect the supply cable that is often exposed to high levels of strain while working with wood. Finally, it also features a robust and durable metal gearbox to allow for optimal power transmission.
- Powerful and versatile
- Ergonomically designed
- Automatic chain lubrication
- Long service life
- High-quality blade technology
- Tensioner may require regular adjustments
- May need more oil after only 20 minutes of use
Best Cordless Chainsaw Buyer’s Guide
Now that we have offered our top recommendations for the best cordless chainsaws currently available in the UK market, let’s take a look at some of the considerations to keep in mind as you narrow down your choices and make a purchase.
First, it is important to keep in mind that most cordless chainsaws are limited to using bars that are 18 inches and shorter. This means that you can’t tackle larger jobs around the property. However, they are great for smaller tasks.
A few other reasons to choose a cordless chainsaw? They are lightweight, more affordable, require far less maintenance, and have no exhaust fumes to contend with as you work. They are the ideal choice for those smaller and quick jobs you need to get done.
Nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cad) batteries used to be standard for many cordless power tools. However, they were also found to be much less efficient and would take 12 hours or more to recharge. Today, lithium-ion batteries are the go-to choice for cordless power tools, including chainsaws. They are much lighter and larger in capacity than their counterparts. They can also recharge in as little as an hour, so don’t have to wait around before you can get back to work.
When shopping for your new cordless chainsaw, here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to the battery.
The amps or amperage is the amount of electrical current that the battery can provide. The amp hours is the amount of time the battery can provide a certain amount of current, and the voltage is the amount of force that can push the current from one part of the electrical circuit to the next. You want a powerful battery that lasts and can allow for the kind of power you need.
The power for a cordless chainsaw comes from its battery. However, the battery isn’t the only thing to consider when looking for the best cordless chainsaw. The motor also takes part in the energy the battery provides. So, without a good motor, the cordless chainsaw can prove to be inefficient – even if the battery you purchased is powerful.
Brushless motors are common for cordless power tools, and they depend heavily on magnets. There is also less interference with these motors from fiction as well. A brushless motor for your cordless chainsaw allows for much more efficiency.
Automatic Oiling Systems
Since there is a continuous metal on metal friction when using your cordless chainsaw between the bar and its centre, you need to make sure the bar stays lubricated with oil. This allows the chain to run more smoothly and prevents breakage.
The best cordless chainsaw will have an automatic oiling system that lubricates the bar with oil whenever it is needed. Without this, you will need to be more careful and cautious and will need to slow down and lubricate the bar yourself regularly, which can cut into your work time considerably.
Tool-Less Chain Tensioning
Many cordless chainsaws feature something called tool-less chain tensioning. This allows you to tighten the chain on your saw without having to use a screwdriver or any other tool.
A blade guard is usually an optional upgrade. There are plastic sleeves you can purchase that easily slide over the chain and the bar of your chainsaw. This prevents damage to the chain when it is not in use and can also go a long way in preventing accidental injury when transporting your chainsaw.
Most cordless chainsaws will weigh between 7 and 12 pounds. They are relatively light in weight and easy to handle. If you are using your chainsaw for long periods of time, you definitely want to make sure it is light enough to carry around.
When factoring in the weight, you also have to consider the weight of the battery as well because this can significantly add to the overall weight of your cordless chainsaw.
Cordless Chainsaw Safety Tips
Cordless chainsaws are light in weight, produce less noise, and are easier to maintain, which make them a great choice for smaller tasks. However, these tools can be just as dangerous as their larger, gas-powered counterparts.
To ensure your safety while using a cordless chainsaw, we have compiled a list of a few tips to keep in mind.
- Avoid wearing any loose-fitting clothing when operating your chainsaw
- Always wear a good pair of work boots or steel-toed boots
- Protect your hands with gloves while working
- Wear a hard helmet if you are working on trees
- Always check the bar oil level before use
- Keep a firm grip on both handles when using your cordless chainsaw
- Never use the tip of the blade to make any cuts. This is also considered the kickback zone and can cause the saw to rotate back toward you and cause injury
A cordless electric chainsaw is a good choice if you are looking for something that requires minimal maintenance and can hold their own. For smaller jobs, you will also find that a battery powered chainsaw is also easier and quicker to use than a corded chainsaw, which can cut down on the amount of time it takes you to complete each job.
You also don’t have to take time out of your day to add fuel. All you have to do is insert the battery, and you are good to go.